The flaggers shall be trained about safe flagging operations that comply with Iowa
DOT Flaggers Handbook, Part VI of the MUTCD, and the Standard Specifications prior
to flagging operations. Training of flaggers shall include the following:
1. Issue and review the current Iowa DOT Flaggers Handbook,
2. Presentation of the current Iowa Professional Flagging Video,
3. Issue flagger training card, which shall include the following:
· Employee name,
· Date of training,
· Name of Instructor,
· Expiration date of December 31 of the year following the training date.
The flaggers shall carry their flagger training card at all times and show it upon
4. Contractor shall maintain a list of the flaggers trained and the date of the
Training shall not be required for short time, emergency, or relief assignment of
employees to flagging operations. Payment will not be made in accordance with Article
2528.12, A, 7.
Flagger operations, equipment, and apparel shall confirm to the Iowa DOT Flagger's
When nighttime flagging is required, auxiliary lighting shall be provided to illuminate
the flagging stations according to the current Iowa DOT Flagger's Handbook. This
lighting shall be set up in such a manner to minimize glare to motorists. The cost
of furnishing nighttime flagging stations shall be included in the lump sum price
bid for Traffic Control.
April 2006 Flagger Handbook
High Visibility Garment Requirements